Saturday, January 4, 2014

The fabric theif

With it being a nice cold winter the first thing that came to my mind when I think about hair is losing moisture. Did you know that certain fabrics can change affect your hairs moisture? If you did then yay for you, if not read these tips to help you out.

When its cold and you are having a bad hair day or simply just like to wear them you grab a cool beanie. If your not protecting your hair that cool beanie is stealing all the moisture and oil you put in your hair before you put it on, also if your not careful it can rub your edges and can cause some hair loss in that spot. Now before you feel betrayed by your favorite accessory you can still keep wearing them. All you have to do is put a satin bonnet or scarf (a bonnet is the easiest) underneath it.

If you are a new natural you may not know how harsh cotton can be on your hair. In a recent discussion with my aunt she told me that she would oil and braid her hair up at night but in the morning her hair would be bone dry. I asked her if she slept on a cotton pillow and she said yes, the pillow case was stealing all of her oil.
If you like to be free when you sleep and hate to sleep with a scarf or bonnet  then you must get a satin or silk pillow case to keep your hair nice, soft, and moisturized. You can get them from anywhere you can get bonnets and scarfs for your hair.

You wash your hair and you go to dry it, do you grab a towel or a t shirt? If your looking at this and thinking I'm crazy for even saying t shirt then you should try it next time you wash your hair. The fibers from the towel can be harsh on your hair and a t shirt won't have your hair as bone dry as the towel.

My last tip is to check your favorite scarf that you like to sleep in. If your scarf is anything but silk or satin then honey you need to go buy a new one asap! My favorite scarf that I would wear when I had relaxed hair doesn't work on my hair now. Its cotton and I kept wondering why my hair would be so dry in the mornings especially when I wore my hair straight. So I ditched the scarf and replaced it with a satin one. I only use it if I need to hold something on my hair in place because its huge and even then I put a bonnet underneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment